Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 4:18 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Dear Amit,
>
> Thank you for updating the patch. I have also checked the patch
> and basically it has worked well. Almost all things I found were modified
> by v4.
>
> One comment: while setting logical_decoding_mode to wrong value,
> I got unfriendly ERROR message.
>
> ```
> postgres=# SET logical_decoding_mode = 1;
> ERROR:  invalid value for parameter "logical_decoding_mode": "1"
> HINT:  Available values: , immediate
> ```
>
> Here all acceptable enum should be output as HINT, but we could not see the empty string.
> Should we modify config_enum_get_options() for treating empty string, maybe
> like (empty)?

Good point. I think the hint message can say "The only allowed value
is \"immediate\" as recovery_target does. Or considering the name of
logical_decoding_mode, we might want to have a non-empty string, say
'normal' as Kuroda-san proposed, as the default value.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada