Re: Call lazy_check_wraparound_failsafe earlier for parallel vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Call lazy_check_wraparound_failsafe earlier for parallel vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 12:28 AM Imseih (AWS), Sami <simseih@amazon.com> wrote:

> >    Yeah, it's a little inconsistent.
>
> Yes, this should be corrected by calling the failsafe
> inside the parallel vacuum loops and handling the case by exiting
> the loop and parallel vacuum if failsafe kicks in.

I agree it's better to be consistent but I think we cannot simply call
lazy_check_wraparound_failsafe() inside the parallel vacuum loops.
IIUC the failsafe is heap (or lazyvacuum ) specific, whereas parallel
vacuum is a common infrastructure to do index vacuum in parallel. We
should not break this design. For example, we would need to have a
callback for index scan loop so that the caller (i.e. lazy vacuum) can
do its work.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada