Re: Question about savepoint level? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Question about savepoint level?
Date
Re: Question about savepoint level?  (Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Oct-24, Richard Guo wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 3:00 PM Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I try to remove the savepointLevel, and it seems harmless.  Any thoughts?
>
> ISTM the savepointLevel always remains the same as what is in
> TopTransactionStateData after looking at the codes. Now I also get
> confused. Maybe what we want is nestingLevel?

This has already been discussed:
https://postgr.es/m/1317297307-sup-7945@alvh.no-ip.org
Now that we have transaction-controlling procedures, I think the next
step is to add the SQL-standard feature that allows savepoint level
control for them, which would make the savepointLevel no longer dead
code.

"You're _really_ hosed if the person doing the hiring doesn't understand
relational systems: you end up with a whole raft of programmers, none of
whom has had a Date with the clue stick."              (Andrew Sullivan)