Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol
Date
List pgsql-committers
Hi,

On 2022-09-13 22:45:46 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > So we could work around the xlc 12.1 issue with something like the attached
> > patch. It passes at some of the tests, with both 32 and 64bit xlc 12.1, will
> > have to wait a while to see more
>
> Shouldn't that be more like
>
> +  if test "$pgac_cv_prog_CC_cflags__qvisibility_hidden" != "yes"; then
> +    CFLAGS_SL_MODULE='$CFLAGS_SL_MODULE -Wl,-b,expfull'
> +  fi
>
> to avoid losing whatever we found out before that?

Yes, you're right. There's nothing today, but we shouldn't assume that.

> > I think it'd be considerably better to just not support xlc < 13.1 though.
>
> A three-line patch doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to carry,
> at least till these systems go out of support.  We've jumped through
> much higher hoops in the past to support niche platforms.

xlc 12.1 *is* out of support and there's a newer compiler installed.

The amount of lines itself doesn't bother me. What does is that it makes an
already complicated platform more complicated: All symbols from extension
.so's are exported, but only for old and unsupported versions of the
proprietary compiler.

Greetings,

Andres Freund