Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On 2022-09-13 22:45:46 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> A three-line patch doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to carry,
>> at least till these systems go out of support.  We've jumped through
>> much higher hoops in the past to support niche platforms.

> xlc 12.1 *is* out of support and there's a newer compiler installed.

AIX 7.1 will go EOL in May.  It seems to me to be reasonable to keep
these animals running till then and then shut them down [1].  In the
meantime, messing with their configurations seems like an unreasonable
amount of work compared to applying this patch.

> The amount of lines itself doesn't bother me. What does is that it makes an
> already complicated platform more complicated: All symbols from extension
> .so's are exported, but only for old and unsupported versions of the
> proprietary compiler.

I have no objection to not supporting the case in the meson scripts,
if that'd make you any happier.

            regards, tom lane

[1] Unless the gcc compile farm shuts the machine down sooner,
which is entirely possible.