Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol
Date
List pgsql-committers
Hi,

On 2022-09-15 16:48:04 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2022-09-13 22:45:46 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> A three-line patch doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to carry,
> >> at least till these systems go out of support.  We've jumped through
> >> much higher hoops in the past to support niche platforms.
>
> > xlc 12.1 *is* out of support and there's a newer compiler installed.
>
> AIX 7.1 will go EOL in May.  It seems to me to be reasonable to keep
> these animals running till then and then shut them down [1].  In the
> meantime, messing with their configurations seems like an unreasonable
> amount of work compared to applying this patch.

I guess I think updating the path to the compiler in the config isn't all that
heavy a lift, compared to making others understand this stuff, but...  I'll
push a revised patch.

> > The amount of lines itself doesn't bother me. What does is that it makes an
> > already complicated platform more complicated: All symbols from extension
> > .so's are exported, but only for old and unsupported versions of the
> > proprietary compiler.
>
> I have no objection to not supporting the case in the meson scripts,
> if that'd make you any happier.

Meson doesn't, so far, support xlc, just gcc on AIX. It'd probably not too
hard to teach it, but I'm not planning to do so - doing the work to make aix
w/ gcc work was already plenty effort on my end.

Greetings,

Andres Freund