Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol
Date
Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-committers
Hi,

On 2022-09-11 11:19:25 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> We could also try to fall back to using -Wl,b,expall for extension modules.

expall doesn't work, because of our use of identifiers in reserved namespaces,
e.g. _PG_init:

       expall
            Exports all global symbols, except imported symbols, unreferenced symbols defined in archive members, and
symbolsbeginning with an underscore

            (_). You can export additional symbols by listing them in an export file or using the expfull option. This
optiondoes not affect symbols

            exported by the autoexp option.

However, there also is 'expfull' - IIRC that causes problems when used for
postgres, but appears to be fine for .so's.

So we could work around the xlc 12.1 issue with something like the attached
patch. It passes at some of the tests, with both 32 and 64bit xlc 12.1, will
have to wait a while to see more

I think it'd be considerably better to just not support xlc < 13.1 though.

This won't fix sungazer, that just needs the perl wrapper removed...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment