Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol
Date
Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-committers
Hi,

On 2022-09-10 01:19:44 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:

> > > Worth a try.
> >
> > Done now.
>
> Seems to have done the trick for at least hoverfly. And wrasse (sunpro) is
> still happy. Still need to wait for the older xlc's (mandril, hornet)
> though...

At least hornet isn't happy:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=hornet&dt=2022-09-10%2021%3A44%3A00

Looks like the support for -qvisibility came with xlc 13.1, released April 28, 2014:

https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS214-162

> -qvisibility option specifies visibility attributes for entities. Entity
>  visibility attributes describe whether and how entities defined in one
>  module can be referenced or used in other modules. Visibility attributes
>  affect entities with external linkage only, and cannot increase the
>  visibility of other entities.

Since xlc 13.1 supports all still supported AIX versions I'm inclined to think
we should increase our requirement to 13.1 rather than revert back to the
higher complexity way of building modules.  We could also try to fall back to
using -Wl,b,expall for extension modules.

Greetings,

Andres Freund