Re: add checkpoint stats of snapshot and mapping files of pg_logical dir - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: add checkpoint stats of snapshot and mapping files of pg_logical dir
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Tue, 23 Aug 2022 10:49:40 -0700, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 11:17:24AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> > +                        "logical decoding file(s) processing time=%ld.%03d s",
>
> I would suggest shortening this to something like "logical decoding
> processing" or "logical replication processing."
>
> >      CheckPointRelationMap();
> >      CheckPointReplicationSlots();
> > +
> > +    CheckpointStats.l_dec_ops_start_t = GetCurrentTimestamp();
> >      CheckPointSnapBuild();
> >      CheckPointLogicalRewriteHeap();
> > +    CheckpointStats.l_dec_ops_end_t = GetCurrentTimestamp();
> > +
> >      CheckPointReplicationOrigin();
>
> Shouldn't we include CheckPointReplicationSlots() and
> CheckPointReplicationOrigin() in this new stat?

By the way, I think we use INSTR_TIME_* macros to do masure internal
durations (mainly for the monotonic clock characteristics, and to
reduce performance degradation on Windows?). I'm not sure that's
crutial here but I don't think there's any reason to use
GetCurrentTimestamp() instead.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi