Re: Intermittent buildfarm failures on wrasse - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Intermittent buildfarm failures on wrasse
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-04-14 23:56:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
> > One thing I'm eyeing now is that it looks like Noah is re-initdb'ing
> > each time, whereas I'd just stopped and started the postmaster of
> > an existing installation.  That does not seem like it could matter
> > but ...
>
> Well, damn.  I changed my script that way and it failed on the tenth
> iteration (versus a couple hundred successful iterations the other
> way).

Just to make sure: This is also on wrasse?

What DSM backend do we end up with on solaris? With shared memory stats
we're using DSM a lot earlier and more commonly than before.

Another thing that might be worth trying is to enable checksums. I've
caught weird bugs with that in the past. And it's possible that bgwriter
writes out a page that we then read back in quickly after, or something
like that.

> So somehow this is related to time-since-initdb, not
> time-since-postmaster-start.  Any ideas?

Perhaps it makes a difference that we start with a "young" database xid
age wise?  We've had bugs around subtracting xids and ending up on some
special one in the past.

Greetings,

Andres Freund