Re: Add id's to various elements in protocol.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Add id's to various elements in protocol.sgml
Date
Re: Add id's to various elements in protocol.sgml  (Maciek Sakrejda <m.sakrejda@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
At Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:47:27 +0100, Brar Piening <brar@gmx.de> wrote in
> On 20.12.2021 at 16:09, Robert Haas wrote:
> > As a data point, this is something I have also wanted to do, from time
> > to time. I am generally of the opinion that any place the

+1 from me.  When I put an URL in the answer for inquiries, I always
look into the html for name/id tags so that the inquirer quickly find
the information source (or the backing or reference point) on the
page.  If not found, I place a snippet instead.

> > documentation has a long list of things, which should add ids, so that
> > people can link to the particular thing in the list to which they want
> > to draw someone's attention.
> >
> Thank you.
>
> If there is consensus on generally adding links to long lists I'd take
> suggestions for other places where people think that this would make
> sense and amend my patch.

I don't think there is.

I remember sometimes wanted ids on some sections(x.x) and
items(x.x.x or lower) (or even clauses, ignoring costs:p)

FWIW in that perspecive, there's no requirement from me that it should
be human-readable.  I'm fine with automatically-generated ids.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center