Re: Adding CI to our tree (ccache) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Adding CI to our tree (ccache)
Date
Re: Adding CI to our tree (ccache)  (Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-02-20 13:36:55 -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Have you tried to use the yet-to-be-released ccache with MSVC ?

Yes, it doesn't work, because it requires cl.exe to be used in a specific way
(only a single input file, specific output file naming). Which would require a
decent amount of changes to src/tools/msvc. I think it's more realistic with
meson etc.

> Also, do you know about msbuild /outputResultsCache ?

I don't think it's really usable for what we need. But it's hard to tell.

> Did you ever try to use clcache (or others) ?
>
> When I tried, it refused to cache because of our debug settings
> (DebugInformationFormat) - which seem to be enabled even in release mode.

> I wonder if that'll be an issue for ccache, too.  I think that line may need to
> be conditional on debug mode.

That's relatively easily solvable by using a different debug format IIRC (/Z7
or such).

Greetings,

Andres Freund