Re: Adding CI to our tree (ccache) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Adding CI to our tree (ccache)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 12:47:31PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Did you ever try to use clcache (or others) ?
> >
> > When I tried, it refused to cache because of our debug settings
> > (DebugInformationFormat) - which seem to be enabled even in release mode.
>
> > I wonder if that'll be an issue for ccache, too.  I think that line may need to
> > be conditional on debug mode.
>
> That's relatively easily solvable by using a different debug format IIRC (/Z7
> or such).

Yes. I got that working for CI by overriding with a value from the environment.
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6191974075072512

This is right after rebasing, so it doesn't save anything, but normally cuts
build time to 90sec, which isn't impressive, but it's something.

BTW, I think it's worth compiling the windows build with optimizations (as I
did here).  At least with all the tap tests, this pays for itself.  I suppose
you don't want to use a Release build, but optimizations could be enabled by
an(other) environment variable.

--
Justin