Re: Time to drop plpython2? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-02-18 15:35:37 -0500, Joe Conway wrote:
> Initially I just installed the python3 RPMs and when I tried running
> manually it was still error'ing on configure due to finding python2.

> Even after adding EXPORT PYTHON=python3 to my ~/.bash_profile I was seeing
> the same.
>
> By adding PYTHON => 'python3' to build-farm.conf I saw that the error
> changed to indicate missing python3-devel package. Once I installed that,
> everything went green.

Hm. It definitely did test python3, earlier today:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=rhinoceros&dt=2022-02-18%2016%3A52%3A13

checking for python3... no
checking for python... /usr/bin/python

the next run then saw:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=rhinoceros&dt=2022-02-18%2017%3A50%3A09
checking for PYTHON... python3
configure: using python 3.6.8 (default, Nov 16 2020, 16:55:22)
checking for Python sysconfig module... yes
checking Python configuration directory... /usr/lib64/python3.6/config-3.6m-x86_64-linux-gnu
checking Python include directory... -I/usr/include/python3.6m

but then failed because the python headers weren't available:
checking for Python.h... no
configure: error: header file <Python.h> is required for Python

Note that this did *not* yet use PYTHON => 'python3' in build_env, but has it
in the environment starting the buildfarm client.

the next run succeeded, with 'PYTHON' => 'python3' in build env. But
presumably this just was because you installed the python3-devel package?

Greetings,

Andres Freund