Re: pgsql: Reference test binary using TESTDIR in 001_libpq_pipeline.pl. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: Reference test binary using TESTDIR in 001_libpq_pipeline.pl.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Hi,

On 2021-10-08 11:41:50 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 10/1/21 6:34 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Reference test binary using TESTDIR in 001_libpq_pipeline.pl.
> >
> > The previous approach didn't really work on windows, due to the PATH separator
> > being ';' not ':'. Instead of making the PATH change more complicated,
> > reference the binary using the TESTDIR environment.
> >
> > Reported-By: Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>
> > Suggested-By: Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>
> > Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20210930214040.odkdd42vknvzifm6@alap3.anarazel.de
> > Backpatch: 14-, where the test was introduced.
> >

> I don't think any of us were thinking very clearly about this. Of
> course, MSVC doesn't build executables in $TESTDIR. If we want to pick
> up the executable from where it's built we'll need a little help from
> vcregress.pl. I haven't tested it but What I have in mind is something
> like the attached.

Hm. Clearly this needs more work. But I don't really like having checks for
MSBUILDDIR in individual tests - we should do this somewhere more central.
Afaictl the windows build just installs libpq_pipeline.exe. If we make sure
that on !msvc builds CURDIR is on PATH and on msvc temp_install/bin/ is on
PATH (which it should already be), then we should be good?

I guess the reason this didn't work for me before was that I invoked
install.pl from the top directory, which then didn't install
libpq_pipeline.exe, because of the config.pl issue I mentioned somewhere?

Greetings,

Andres Freund