Re: pgsql: Reference test binary using TESTDIR in 001_libpq_pipeline.pl. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: Reference test binary using TESTDIR in 001_libpq_pipeline.pl.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 10/8/21 5:14 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2021-10-08 11:41:50 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> On 10/1/21 6:34 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> Reference test binary using TESTDIR in 001_libpq_pipeline.pl.
>>>
>>> The previous approach didn't really work on windows, due to the PATH separator
>>> being ';' not ':'. Instead of making the PATH change more complicated,
>>> reference the binary using the TESTDIR environment.
>>>
>>> Reported-By: Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>
>>> Suggested-By: Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>
>>> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20210930214040.odkdd42vknvzifm6@alap3.anarazel.de
>>> Backpatch: 14-, where the test was introduced.
>>>
>> I don't think any of us were thinking very clearly about this. Of
>> course, MSVC doesn't build executables in $TESTDIR. If we want to pick
>> up the executable from where it's built we'll need a little help from
>> vcregress.pl. I haven't tested it but What I have in mind is something
>> like the attached.
> Hm. Clearly this needs more work. But I don't really like having checks for
> MSBUILDDIR in individual tests - we should do this somewhere more central.
> Afaictl the windows build just installs libpq_pipeline.exe. If we make sure
> that on !msvc builds CURDIR is on PATH and on msvc temp_install/bin/ is on
> PATH (which it should already be), then we should be good?
>
> I guess the reason this didn't work for me before was that I invoked
> install.pl from the top directory, which then didn't install
> libpq_pipeline.exe, because of the config.pl issue I mentioned somewhere?

The whole point of 6abc8c2596 AIUI was to have this program not
installed (that's why for the test we need to get it from $TESTDIR where
it's built except when we're using MSVC). That commit should probably
have made sure the MSVC install process likewise didn't install it. So
ISTM that relying on it being installed is going in the wrong direction.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan