Re: automatic analyze: readahead - add "IO read time" log message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: automatic analyze: readahead - add "IO read time" log message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) wrote:
> * Tomas Vondra (tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com) wrote:
> > Thanks. I'll do some testing/benchmarking once my machines are free, in
> > a couple days perhaps. But as I said before, I don't expect this to
> > behave very differently from other places that already do prefetching.
>
> Agreed, but would still be nice to see test results beyond just what
> I've done.

Any chance you were able to run those tests..?

> > FWIW I wonder if this should be tracked separately in the CF app, as
> > it's very different from the original "add some logging" patch, which
> > makes the CF entry rather misleading.
>
> I've gone ahead and updated the CF entry for this to hopefully make it
> clearer for those interested in looking at it.  I'll try to come back to
> this in the next CF, ideally we'd at least get someone else to take a
> look at the code beyond me. :)  (Obviously, you looked at it some, but
> wasn't really clear if you were alright with it or if you felt it needed
> more review.)

I've updated the patch to leverage Tom's introduction of
TimestatmpDifferenceMilliseconds, which simplifies things a bit (and I
don't think we need to worry about an analyze taking over 25 days...)
and generally rebased this up to current HEAD.

Would be great to get a review / comments from others as to if there's
any concerns.  I'll admit that it seems reasonably straight-forward to
me, but hey, I wrote most of it, so that's not really a fair
assessment... ;)

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment