Context diffs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Context diffs
Date
Re: Context diffs  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
Re: Context diffs  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Our developer FAQ mentions context diffs in several places for their
improved readability:

    https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ

I also know git can product context diff as _output_.  However, there
are several negatives to context vs unified diffs in our workflow:

*  "git apply" and "git am" can't process context diffs (they throw an
   error once a context-like section of the diff is hit; simple
   adding/removing lines in a block works)

*  the commit-fest doesn't recognized context diff attachments as
patches:

    https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/2912/

*  cfbot can't process file renames/add/delete from context diffs

I am not 100% sure on the above items, but that is what I have seen in
my testing.  Should we post only unified diffs in certain cases, even
with the readability issues?  (I know some people prefer the readability
of unified diffs.)  Should we document this?