Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Lock Postgres account after X number of failedlogins? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Lock Postgres account after X number of failedlogins?
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Wolff, Ken L (ken.l.wolff@lmco.com) wrote:
> Thanks again, everyone, for all the responses and ideas.  I'm still getting caught up on the various responses but
withrespect to LDAP/AD, I truly wish it were an option.  I agree with the various sentiments that AD authentication is
moremanageable, scalable, secure, etc.  However, if there were one set of environs where you'd think we could rely
exclusivelyon AD authentication, it would be SQL Server, which by default, relies on Windows & AD for its
authentication. However, for our company, even in our SQL Server environments, we almost always have to resort to
internal(SQL-authenticated) accounts at times for various reasons:  usually because vendor software doesn't support AD
authentication,but I've even heard some people mention docker containers can't use it, either.  Full disclosure - I
haven'trun that last one down yet, have only heard it in passing so don't know the details.

At least as it involves vendor software, most of that is built on top of
libpq or JDBC and you can typically make them work with GSSAPI (which is
basically Kerberos, and is what AD/SQL Server uses), which is what you
want to be using.  Don't think the "ldap" auth in PG is like SQL Server
AD auth- it isn't, and "ldap" involves passing user's passwords around
in the clear, it's not secure.  So, you might not have as much need for
local accounts as you do for SQL server, but it's certainly possible
you'll end up needing them somewhere.

And yes, you can certainly get GSSAPI/Kerberos to work in docker and in
Kube, it's just more complicated due to sorting through DNS/rDNS and
such, but it's been done (and I've done it :).

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment