Re: pg_basebackup inconsistent performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_basebackup inconsistent performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/6/20 5:44 AM, Jasen Lentz wrote:
> We have pg_basebackup running on two of our DB servers that are
> replicated.  We are running postgres 11, and it seems we are getting
> inconsistent performance from the backups and unsure as of why.  We
> start out at 5-6 hours over a dedicated 10G port for 7TB.  It creeps up
> to 8-9 hours then all of a sudden takes 12-16 hours.  There seems to be

I'm guessing the above happens from one run to another correct?

Where are the machines you are backing up from/to relative to each on
the network?

Is there increased activity on the database servers e.g. inserts,
updates, etc during the extended backups?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com