Re: explanation for random_page_cost is outdated - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: explanation for random_page_cost is outdated
Date
Re: explanation for random_page_cost is outdated  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 06:02:41AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> ne 26. 4. 2020 v 21:25 odesílatel yigong hu <yigongh@gmail.com> napsal:
>
>     Sorry to hijack the thread, I also recently have similar observation that
>     the statement about random_page_cost on SSD is ambiguous. The current
>     document says that
>
>     > Storage that has a low random read cost relative to sequential, e.g.
>     solid-state drives, might also be better modeled with a lower value for
>     random_page_cost.
>
>     However, this statement does not clarify what values might be good. For
>     some workload, the default value 4.0 would cause bad performance and
>     lowering random_page_cost to a value 3.0 or 2.0 does not solve the
>     performance problem. Only when the random_page_cost is lowered to below 1.2
>     will the bad performance be mitigated. Thus, I would suggest elaborating on
>     this description further as:
>
>      >  Storage that has a low random read cost relative to sequential, e.g.
>     solid-state drives, might also be better modeled with a value that is close
>     to 1 for random_page_cost.
>

> I depends on estimation. Lot of people use random_page_cost as fix of broken
> estimation. Then configures this value to some strange values. Lot of other
> queries with good estimation can be worse then.

I have been recommending 1.1 as a value for random_page_cost for SSDs
for years, and I think it would be helpful to suggest that value, so doc
patch attached.

Attachment