Re: explanation for random_page_cost is outdated - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Олег Самойлов
Subject Re: explanation for random_page_cost is outdated
Date
List pgsql-docs
Yes, I saw recommendations for 1.1 early, but why? Why such exactly precision number, why 1.1? Is here ever a
theoreticalor experimental prof?

As for me, random_page_cost depended not only not characteristic of a storage device (hdd or ssd), but also on
assumptionsabout how much of the database is in memory cache (90% by default). And this is a very rough assumption (of
causein ideal whole database must fit in the memory cache).

And so I don't see any reason to recommend exactly value 1.1, simple 1 is good too, especially for an ideal server with
hugememory cache.