Re: DETACH PARTITION and FOR EACH ROW triggers on partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: DETACH PARTITION and FOR EACH ROW triggers on partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Apr-08, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Hmm.  Let's agree to what behavior we want, and then we implement that.
> > It seems to me there are two choices:
>
> > 1. on detach, keep the trigger but make it independent of the trigger on
> > parent.  (This requires that the trigger is made dependent on the
> > trigger on parent, if the table is attached as partition again;
> > otherwise you'd end up with multiple copies of the trigger if you
> > detach/attach multiple times).
>
> > 2. on detach, remove the trigger from the partition.
>
> > I think (2) is easier to implement, but (1) is the more convenient
> > behavior.
>
> I think that #1 would soon lead to needing all the same infrastructure
> as we have for inherited columns and constraints, ie triggers would need
> equivalents of attislocal and attinhcount.  I don't really want to go
> there, so I'd vote for #2.

Hmm.  Those things are used for the legacy inheritance case supporting
multiple inheritance, where we need to figure out which parent the table
is being detached (disinherited) from.  But for partitioning we know
which parent it is, since there can only be one.  So I don't think that
argument applies.