Re: DETACH PARTITION and FOR EACH ROW triggers on partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DETACH PARTITION and FOR EACH ROW triggers on partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2020-Apr-08, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think that #1 would soon lead to needing all the same infrastructure
>> as we have for inherited columns and constraints, ie triggers would need
>> equivalents of attislocal and attinhcount.  I don't really want to go
>> there, so I'd vote for #2.

> Hmm.  Those things are used for the legacy inheritance case supporting
> multiple inheritance, where we need to figure out which parent the table
> is being detached (disinherited) from.  But for partitioning we know
> which parent it is, since there can only be one.  So I don't think that
> argument applies.

My point is that so long as you only allow the case of exactly one parent,
you can just delete the child trigger, because it must belong to that
parent.  As soon as there's any flexibility, you are going to end up
reinventing all the stuff we had to invent to manage
maybe-or-maybe-not-inherited columns.  So I think the "detach" idea
is the first step on that road, and I counsel not taking that step.

(This implies that when creating a child trigger, we should error out,
*not* allow the case, if there's already a trigger by that name.  Not
sure if that's what happens today, but again I'd say that's what we
should do to avoid complicated cases.)