Re: backup manifests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: backup manifests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-03-27 14:34:19 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think #2 is an interesting idea and could possibly reduce the danger
> of user confusion on this point considerably - because, let's face it,
> not everyone is going to read the documentation. However, I'm having a
> hard time figuring out exactly what we'd print. Right now on success,
> unless you specify -q, you get:
>
> [rhaas ~]$ pg_validatebackup  ~/pgslave
> backup successfully verified
>
> But it feels strange and possibly confusing to me to print something like:
>
> [rhaas ~]$ pg_validatebackup  ~/pgslave
> backup successfully verified (except for pg_wal)

You could print something like:
WAL necessary to restore this base backup can be validated with:

pg_waldump -p ~/pgslave -t tl -s backup_start_location -e backup_end_loc > /dev/null && echo true

Obviously that specific invocation sucks, but it'd not be hard to add an
option to waldump to not output anything.

Greetings,

Andres Freund