Re: v12 and pg_restore -f- - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: v12 and pg_restore -f-
Date
Re: v12 and pg_restore -f-  (Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com.br>)
Re: v12 and pg_restore -f-  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Oct-17, Tom Lane wrote:

> > First, I'd like to clarify what I believe Tom's suggestion is, and then
> > talk through that, as his vote sways this topic pretty heavily.
>
> > Tom, I take it your suggestion is to have '-f -' be accepted to mean
> > 'goes to stdout' in all branches?
>
> Yes.

+1 for this, FWIW.  Let's get it done before next week minors.  Is
anybody writing a patch?  If not, I can do it.

> > If you meant for all branches to accept '-f -' and have it go to a './-'
> > file then that's just a revert of this entire change, which I can't
> > agree with either
>
> No, I'm not proposing a full revert.  But there's certainly room to
> consider reverting the part that says you *must* write "-f -" to get
> output to stdout.

I don't think this will buy us anything, if we get past branches updated
promptly.