Re: BUG #15964: vacuumdb.c:187:10: error: use of undeclaredidentifier 'FD_SETSIZE' - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #15964: vacuumdb.c:187:10: error: use of undeclaredidentifier 'FD_SETSIZE'
Date
Re: BUG #15964: vacuumdb.c:187:10: error: use of undeclaredidentifier 'FD_SETSIZE'  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 12:32:51AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think Andres' suggestion is probably fine: don't try to detect
> it in advance.  Just open the files, and error out if we need to
> put an fd index >= FD_SETSIZE into an fd_set.  It'll be a shade
> less user-friendly, in that the program might run for a bit before
> failing; but I doubt that such cases arise often enough to be worth
> working harder.

Thanks.  I have somewhat not catched what Andres was suggesting here.
So attached are two patches:
- 0001 should take care of the compilation failure, by moving
FD_SETSIZE into scripts_parallel.c.
- 0002 makes vacuumdb and reindexdb fail when trying to assign a
socket with an unsupported range.  Should this bit be backpatched?  We
are doing that for vacuumdb for some time now, and the error is
confusing so I would prefer fixing it on older branches as well.

Thoughts?
--
Michael

Attachment