Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 05:05:13PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 4:52 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> > +1.  Another thing which may matter is that if some people do not see
> > some improvements they were expecting then they can come back to pg13
> > and help around with having these added.  Things are never going to be
> > perfect for all users, and it makes little sense to make it sound like
> > things are actually perfect.
>
> Speaking of imperfections: it is well known that most performance
> enhancements have the potential to hurt certain workloads in order to
> help others. Maybe that was explicitly considered to be a good
> trade-off when the feature went in, and maybe that was the right
> decision at the time, but more often it was something that was simply
> overlooked. There is value in leaving information that helps users
> discover where a problem may have been introduced -- they can tell us
> about it, and we can fix it.
>
> I myself sometimes look through the release notes in an effort to spot
> something that might have had undesirable side-effects, especially in
> areas of the code that I am less knowledgeable about, or have only a
> vague recollection of. Sometimes that is a reasonable starting point.

The release notes are written for the _average_ reader.  The commits are
there as comments and making them more visible would be a nice
improvement.

We have already adjusted the partition item, and the btree item.  If
there is more detail people want, I suggest you post something to the
hackers list and we will see if can be added in a consistent way.  You
must also get agreement that the rules I am using need to be adjusted so
all future release notes will have that consistency.