Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi,

On 2018-10-22 13:07:47 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Oct-19, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
> > On 10/19/18 5:50 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>
> > > You're quoting me saying things about the shout box - but I think you're
> > > talking about the fixed navbar?
> >
> > Probably. But I do think we should have the shoutbox there both for
> > consistency and the fact the majority of our traffic goes to the docs.
> > The shoutbox does provide a reference for when a new release comes out,
> > and if vast majority of people are going to pg.org to view our docs, it
> > provides a nice place to let people know when there are updates.
>
> I too think the doc pages could stand some additional improvement.  I'm
> okay with seeing the shoutbox the first dozen pages I visit, but after
> that it's annoying, and by the hundredth time I see it it becomes
> infuriating.  Why can't I dismiss it?

Yea.

> As for the list of unsupported versions, I'm not sure that its
> omnipresence has a lot of value.  Would it work to have a list of
> supported versions plus devel (one line -- we could say "Current (11),
> 10 / 9.6 / 9.5 / 9.4 / 9.3 / 12dev" since it should be pretty obvious
> that "12dev" is development), and have a link "other versions" that
> shows the rest of the list?

Yea, if it's one line (current choices + dev) with a + or such that
expands to a list of the old versions, it'd be much better than it's
now.

I also wonder why we need to have two search boxes on every page. Can't
we have one where there's a selector for 'docs' and 'whole site'? I
never use the search (grepping sgml is more efficient & accurate), but I
can see why we'd want to offer that. But two boxes seems superfluous.

We currently reference the version we're on two times in as many
lines. Looking at
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/intro-whatis.html
- "Documentation → PostgreSQL devel (2018-10-22 16:17:03)"
- underlined "devel"

Greetings,

Andres Freund