Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs
Date
Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-www
On 2018-Oct-19, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> On 10/19/18 5:50 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

> > You're quoting me saying things about the shout box - but I think you're
> > talking about the fixed navbar?
>
> Probably. But I do think we should have the shoutbox there both for
> consistency and the fact the majority of our traffic goes to the docs.
> The shoutbox does provide a reference for when a new release comes out,
> and if vast majority of people are going to pg.org to view our docs, it
> provides a nice place to let people know when there are updates.

I too think the doc pages could stand some additional improvement.  I'm
okay with seeing the shoutbox the first dozen pages I visit, but after
that it's annoying, and by the hundredth time I see it it becomes
infuriating.  Why can't I dismiss it?

As for the list of unsupported versions, I'm not sure that its
omnipresence has a lot of value.  Would it work to have a list of
supported versions plus devel (one line -- we could say "Current (11),
10 / 9.6 / 9.5 / 9.4 / 9.3 / 12dev" since it should be pretty obvious
that "12dev" is development), and have a link "other versions" that
shows the rest of the list?

On mobile, I think it would work to have the version selector integrated
in the navbar (which has plenty of space), as another dropdown.