Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs
Date
List pgsql-www
On 10/19/18 5:50 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-10-19 17:37:07 -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>>> I don't like the shout box in the docs, FWIW. For me that's reference
>>> material, and I don't want to waste the space. Currently content starts
>>> like half a screen down when at the top. That's a *lot*.
>
> You're quoting me saying things about the shout box - but I think you're
> talking about the fixed navbar?

Probably. But I do think we should have the shoutbox there both for
consistency and the fact the majority of our traffic goes to the docs.
The shoutbox does provide a reference for when a new release comes out,
and if vast majority of people are going to pg.org to view our docs, it
provides a nice place to let people know when there are updates.

>> Well, the things up top are the core doc navigation (versions, search,
>> TOCs on the page). Those are fairly important, particularly on large
>> pages. And also on large pages, it can be a pain to scroll all the way
>> back up if you need to get to another part of the site, or search.
>
> It's like one swipe to scroll back up even on big pages, I don't quite
> buy that. But I find the mobile header much less intrusive / distracting
> than the non-mobile one (Doesn't change size. Only a small symbol, not
> multiple links), so I don't care as much.

I hear you, but still not sold :)

> FWIW, the mobile docs view looks kinda bad when you start out. I've
> attached a screenshot from my phone.  The amount of space taken by the
> header, by the shoutbox, by the version selectors (man, that's like 5
> lines), the search box, the docs header, is more than a bit
> disproportional.

Yeah, that I do agree with. I think we can do a better job with how we
can do the version scroll. It will only get worse as we introduce more
unsupported versions of PostgreSQL.

For that on mobile, perhaps we can get away with a select dropdown where
on a change event, it goes to that version of the docs?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment