Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Matthijs van der Vleuten
Subject Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs
Date
List pgsql-www

On 22 Oct 2018, at 19:03, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Oct 22, 2018, at 5:07 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

I too think the doc pages could stand some additional improvement.  I'm
okay with seeing the shoutbox the first dozen pages I visit, but after
that it's annoying, and by the hundredth time I see it it becomes
infuriating.  Why can't I dismiss it?

That’s a good idea. We could store that it has been dismissed in a cookie and then have it
reappear when a new announcement comes out. That should not be too difficult to create a patch
for.

As for the list of unsupported versions, I'm not sure that its
omnipresence has a lot of value.  Would it work to have a list of
supported versions plus devel (one line -- we could say "Current (11),
10 / 9.6 / 9.5 / 9.4 / 9.3 / 12dev" since it should be pretty obvious
that "12dev" is development), and have a link "other versions" that
shows the rest of the list?

Yeah, and perhaps move the list of unsupported versions to the bottom of the page?

On mobile, I think it would work to have the version selector integrated
in the navbar (which has plenty of space), as another dropdown.

Not a bad idea - it may take some work given the nav bar is a global component. Will think on it.

Jonathan

Meanwhile, could you apply the patch I submitted? It improves usability
and removes no content. It just unsticks the navigation bar (and fixes
the shoutbox padding), so that you can see more of the docs at once.

Thanks!

Matthijs