Re: WARNING: could not flush dirty data: Function not implemented - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: WARNING: could not flush dirty data: Function not implemented
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 2018-09-02 22:57:55 +0000, Ravi Krishna wrote:
> Ubuntu 18.04 as Windows bash
>
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        18.04
> Codename:       bionic
>

> PG 10.5.1
>
> postgres@ravi-lenovo:~$ psql -d postgres
> psql (10.5 (Ubuntu 10.5-1.pgdg16.04+1))
>
> A CREATE DATABASE statement spewed out
>
> WARNING:  could not flush dirty data: Function not implemented
>
> many times, but the db was created.
>
> What exactly is this?

That means that the linux emulation by microsoft isn't good enough.  You
can work around it by setting checkpoint_flush_after=0 and
wal_writer_flush_after=0.

> A simple search tells that this is an old problem and my Windows has
> necessary WSL and other subsystem for this error to not show up.

Please note that nobody has verified that postgres works correctly via
the emulation stuff MS is doing.  There is a native version of postgres
for windows however, and that is tested (and exercised by a lot of
installations).

Greetings,

Andres Freund