Re: Non-reserved replication slots and slot advancing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Subject Re: Non-reserved replication slots and slot advancing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello.

At Mon, 9 Jul 2018 14:18:51 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote in <20180709051851.GA30202@paquier.xyz>
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 03:37:57PM +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > I'm not so in favor of the word "reserve" in first place since it
> > doesn't seem intuitive for me, but "active" is already used for
> > the state where the connection with the peer is made. (The word
> > "reserve" may be misused since in the source code "reserve" is
> > used as "to reserve WAL", but used as "reserve a slot" in
> > documentation.)
>
> That's the term used for now three releases, counting v11 in the pack,
> so I would not change that now.  The concept of non-initialized slots is
> fuzzy as well as it could be attached to some other meta-data.
>
> So, chewing on all that, I would suggest the following error message as
> the attached patch and just move on:
> +ERROR:  cannot move slot not reserving WAL

I'm fine with this. Thank you.

Looking the attched patch, I noticed that both "WAL" and "wal"
are used in similar ERROR messages. Grepping the source tree
showed me that it is always in upper case letters except in the
case it is a part of other words like variable/column/function
names or "walsender". This is the same with the word "lsn".

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center