Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v11 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v11
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-03-15 12:42:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > It'd be a build not runtime dependency, doesn't that change things?
>
> How could it not be a runtime dependency?

What we were talking about in this subthread was about a depency on
clang, not LLVM. And that's just needed at buildtime, to generate the
bitcode files (including synchronizing types / function signatures).

For the yum.pg.o, which already depends on EPEL, there's a new enough
LLVM version.  There's a new enough version in RHEL proper, but it
appears to only be there for mesa (llvm-private).

> You're not proposing that we'd embed all of LLVM into a Postgres
> package are you?

No.

Greetings,

Andres Freund