Re: [table partitioning] How many partitions are possibel? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: [table partitioning] How many partitions are possibel?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 11:04:55AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> I like to make the partitions smaller, but the documentation say, you
> should not dare to make several 1000 partitions..

Even more than a hundred may be already risky in my opinion here. The
issue with a large number of partitioning using the pre-9.6 grammar
comes from the planning time which sky-rockets because the optimizer
uses a O(N^2) algorithm to consider all the partitions. The v10 grammar
does not take care of this planning problem as far as I recall, but v11
gets that better for partition-wise joins if my memory does not fail me.
--
Michael

Attachment