Re: pgsql: Remove BufFile's isTemp flag. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: Remove BufFile's isTemp flag.
Date
Re: pgsql: Remove BufFile's isTemp flag.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-committers
On 2017-11-19 17:00:36 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>
> > Here's a patch that does those things.  I'm slightly surprised by the
> > renaming suggestion though, because it means that an extension that
> > uses BufFile will need to know how to select the v10 and v11 function
> > name as appropriate.  Would you backpatch redirect support for the new
> > name to older versions?
>
> No, but if you're concerned about it, we could maintain API compatibility
> for extensions with something like
>
> #define BufFileCreateTemp(interXact) BufFileCreate(interXact)

I don't really see a point in doing this renaming in the first
place. It's not like the Temp suffix has become inaccurate. I'd perhaps
not add it in the green field, but I don't see a need to change an
existing function name. If anything it seems confusing because you'd
miss something when trivially searching the history / comparing
branches.

Greetings,

Andres Freund