Re: [BUGS] Fails to work on live images due to fsync() onpg_commit_ts before doing any write there - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Raphael Hertzog
Subject Re: [BUGS] Fails to work on live images due to fsync() onpg_commit_ts before doing any write there
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, 07 Nov 2017, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Raphael,
>
> * Raphael Hertzog (hertzog@debian.org) wrote:
> > Still I believe that this issue should be fixed in both sides. It's not
> > smart from PostgreSQL to call fsync() when it has not made any change.
>
> Why?

Because it's useless. Why call fsync() when you know that it doesn't do
anything?

And because I have just shown that doing this can have unexpected
side-effects in some specific conditions.

But this is really a matter of aesthetics and trade-offs. I don't know the
code. It might be difficult to track the fact that changes have been made.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer