Re: [BUGS] Fails to work on live images due to fsync() onpg_commit_ts before doing any write there - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [BUGS] Fails to work on live images due to fsync() onpg_commit_ts before doing any write there
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2017-11-07 15:57:03 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello Alvaro,
>
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2017, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Please create a machine that works this way and get it added to the
> > buildfarm, so that this sort of thing doesn't surprise us in the future
> > months after the fact.
> >     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Buildfarm
>
> The issue is not really related to the postgresql build. This is more the
> realm of continuous integration testing (think jenkins) under a specific set
> of conditions.

That's pretty much what the buildfarm does.

> While I could possibly write a test script that would run on a Linux
> chroot, I don't have the resources to provide a machine for your
> buildfarm.

This particular behaviour that you want PG to implement (no fsyncs
before something has been dirtied since the last start of PG) is weird
enough to implement and keep getting right that I personally think we a)
probably shouldn't implement it, b) there's little point in even trying
if we don't test it.

Greetings,

Andres Freund