Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQLover MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQLover MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Greetings, Tobias!

* Tobias May (tobias.m@inventati.org) wrote:
> How do I convince people to choose PostgreSQL over a MySQL?

I have to admit, it's often tricky to do so, but it tends to be
worthwhile too.  One popular theme (which is so because it tends to be a
pretty good idea...) is to "move the code to the data" and no RDBMS (or
database in general, really..) makes that more possible to do than
PostgreSQL.  With PostgreSQL, you can ship to the database server code
in a huge variety of languages and have it run locally on the server, as
close to the data as you can get.

Another consideration is the amazing capabilities PostgreSQL has when it
comes to federating data.  Specifically, there's a ton of different
foreign data wrappers available which allow you to connect to other
servers, when necessary or smart to do so.  An argument one could use is
that if "X" is really done "way better" in MySQL, then you would be able
to create a MySQL database and just link to it from the PostgreSQL
system.  There are complications there, of course, but it's definitely a
real level of flexibility which isn't seen in other database systems.

> How do I cope with people, which refuse the available (too few?) facts?

Understanding their concerns and their objections can often go a long
way.  Have that dialogue with people and be open and honest- if you need
to go research some specific angle, say so, and then feel free to reach
out to this group with any questions you or they have.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment