Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
In a nutshell, what I usually say to people in advocating Postgres over MySQL is:

1. Postgres is a product from people that care a lot more about quality, making
releases that work and don't lose your data, and take care to keep changes
minimal and compatible in patch releases, unlike MySQL (all versions) which is
notorious for the opposite, see version 5.1 for example.

2. Postgres has an order of magnitude more useful features that MySQL lacks
(this being a major pain point for getting real work done), and they add lots of
useful new features each year; MySQL in contrast does very little in the way of
adding new features (version 5.1 was the last for-production version with
substantial new features), is very far behind, has a lot of mis-features.

I've given a lot more detail in the past, but that's a lot of it.  The politics
of Oracle are another reason, but the above was all true even before Oracle
owned MySQL.

-- Darren Duncan