Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Date
Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 08:30:50AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > I have committed the first draft of the Postgres 10 release notes.  They
> > are current as of two days ago, and I will keep them current.  Please
> > give me any feedback you have.
> >

> Some of the items which I feel could be added:
>
> 5e6d8d2bbbcace304450b309e79366c0da4063e4
> Allow parallel workers to execute subplans.

Uh, can you show me the commit on that and give some text ideas?

> 61c2e1a95f94bb904953a6281ce17a18ac38ee6d
> Improve access to parallel query from procedural languages.

I think I have that:
Increase parallel query usage in procedural language functions (RobertHaas)

> In Parallel Queries section, we can add above two items as they
> increase the usage of the parallel query in many cases.
>
> ea69a0dead5128c421140dc53fac165ba4af8520
> Expand hash indexes more gradually.

That is in this item:
Improve hash bucket split performance by reducing locking requirements(Amit Kapila, Mithun Cy)Also cache hash index
meta-informationfor faster lookups. Additionalhash performance improvements have also been made. pg_upgrade'd
hashindexesfrom previous major Postgres versions must be rebuilt.

Can you suggest additional wording?  I did merge many of the hash items
into this so it would be understandable.  You can see the commits in the
SGML source.

> I think the above commit needs a separate mention, as this is a really
> huge step forward to control the size of hash indexes.

Yes, it is unfotunate that the item is in the incompatibility item.  I
wonder if I should split out the need to rebuild the hash indexes and
keep it there and move this item into the "Index" section.

http://enterprisedb.com