Re: Why we lost Uber as a user - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Why we lost Uber as a user
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Hannu Krosing (hkrosing@gmail.com) wrote:
> On 07/27/2016 12:07 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> >> 4. Now, update that small table 500 times per second.
> >> That's a recipe for runaway table bloat; VACUUM can't do much because
> >> there's always some minutes-old transaction hanging around (and SNAPSHOT
> >> TOO OLD doesn't really help, we're talking about minutes here), and
> >> because of all of the indexes HOT isn't effective.
> > Hm, I'm not following why this is a disaster.  OK, you have circa 100%
> > turnover of the table in the lifespan of the slower transactions, but I'd
> > still expect vacuuming to be able to hold the bloat to some small integer
> > multiple of the minimum possible table size.  (And if the table is small,
> > that's still small.)  I suppose really long transactions (pg_dump?) could
> > be pretty disastrous, but there are ways around that, like doing pg_dump
> > on a slave.
> Is there any theoretical obstacle which would make it impossible to
> teach VACUUM not to hold back the whole vacuum horizon, but just
> to leave a single transaction alone in case of a long-running
> REPEATABLE READ transaction ?

I've looked into this a couple of times and I believe it's possible to
calculate what records have to remain available for the long-running
transaction, but it's far from trivial.

I do think that's a direction which we really need to go in, however.
Having a single horizon which is dictated by the oldest running
transaction isn't a tenable solution in environments with a lot of
churn.

Thanks!

Stephen