Re: WIP: CoC V5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Litt
Subject Re: WIP: CoC V5
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:15:45 -0500
"Regina Obe" <lr@pcorp.us> wrote:

> For example if Tom makes some snide remark like "Do all Bostonians
> program this way?"

Why not simply discuss the code, with no value judgment about the
coder?

"The strcpy() in the foo() function can cause intermittent problems and
open an attack route. Why not use strncpy() instead?"

Of course we all know there are some people who prefer to say something
like the following:

"Really? I mean really? People still use strcpy() in 2016? All but the
dullest know that opens an attack route."

For some reason, a significant percentage of people just LOVE to get
judgmental about the other guy's work product, rather than simply
showing a better way.

To me it's simple...

Disallow "You <something bad>"

Disallow "Your code <something bad>"

Encourage "It would be better if your code <something factual> because
<technological reason>."

Steve

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28