Re: Major version upgrades + Replication - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Major version upgrades + Replication
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, Dec  2, 2015 at 07:48:55PM +0300, Vladimir Borodin wrote:

>     2 дек. 2015 г., в 18:55, Rob Emery <re-pgsql@codeweavers.net> написал(а):
>
>     Hello,
>
>     We have a setup with 1 primary, a synchronous replica and two asynchronous
>     replicas all running on PostgreSQL 9.1. I'm in the progress of planning an
>     upgrade to 9.4 so that we can make use of cascading replication.
>
>     The process I'm planning currently is:
>       □ Kill primary
>       □ Upgrade primary to 9.4 with pg_upgrade --link
>       □ Upgrade synchronous secondary with pg_upgrade —link
>

> No, it won’t work. See https://simply.name/upgrading-postgres-to-9.4.html and
> links from that post for details.

It will work if you use the 9.5 pg_upgrade instructions, which also work
in 9.4 and earlier:

        http://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2015.html#June_10_2015

Vladimir is right that you have to do both upgrades while both servers
are down.

>     At this point will the secondary replicate from the primary correctly or do
>     I need to
>     rsync everything across again?
>
>     I understand that the 9.1 replicas won't be able to replicate from 9.4
>     until they're upgraded; however I'm I'm hoping to essentially pg_upgrade
>     all the replicas and avoid having to rsync the upgraded master to all it's
>     replicas.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Rob
>
>     [bc5d5152-e]
>
>     Codeweavers November Newsletter l Latest from the company
>
>     Phone: 0800 021 0888   Email: contactus@codeweavers.net
>     Codeweavers Ltd | Barn 4 | Dunston Business Village | Dunston | ST18 9AB
>     Registered in England and Wales No. 04092394 | VAT registration no. 974
>     9705 63

> --
> May the force be with you…
> https://simply.name

+ Roman grave inscription                             +