Re: Major version upgrades + Replication - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Vladimir Borodin
Subject Re: Major version upgrades + Replication
Date
List pgsql-admin

2 дек. 2015 г., в 18:55, Rob Emery <re-pgsql@codeweavers.net> написал(а):

Hello,

We have a setup with 1 primary, a synchronous replica and two asynchronous replicas all running on PostgreSQL 9.1. I'm in the progress of planning an upgrade to 9.4 so that we can make use of cascading replication.

The process I'm planning currently is:
  • Kill primary
  • Upgrade primary to 9.4 with pg_upgrade --link
  • Upgrade synchronous secondary with pg_upgrade —link

No, it won’t work. See https://simply.name/upgrading-postgres-to-9.4.html and links from that post for details.

At this point will the secondary replicate from the primary correctly or do I need to
rsync everything across again?

I understand that the 9.1 replicas won't be able to replicate from 9.4 until they're upgraded; however I'm I'm hoping to essentially pg_upgrade all the replicas and avoid having to rsync the upgraded master to all it's replicas.

Thanks,
Rob

Phone: 0800 021 0888   Email: contactus@codeweavers.net
Codeweavers Ltd | Barn 4 | Dunston Business Village | Dunston | ST18 9AB
Registered in England and Wales No. 04092394 | VAT registration no. 974 9705 63

--
May the force be with you…