Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup
Date
Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> Looking at the file's size is probably a better idea. As far as I know,
> PostgreSQL doesn't create files bigger than 1GB, except for log files. I'm
> not sure about this but I guess pg_basebackup doesn't ship log files. So,
> looking at the size would work.

Hmm, so we let configure --with-segsize to change the file size.  The
configure help says that the limit should be "less than your OS' limit
on file size".  We don't warn them that this could cause backup
problems later on.  Should we add a blurb about that somewhere?