Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Le 20 nov. 2015 1:34 PM, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> a
=C3=A9crit :

> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>
> > Looking at the file's size is probably a better idea. As far as I know,
> > PostgreSQL doesn't create files bigger than 1GB, except for log files.
I'm
> > not sure about this but I guess pg_basebackup doesn't ship log files.
So,
> > looking at the size would work.
>
> Hmm, so we let configure --with-segsize to change the file size.  The
> configure help says that the limit should be "less than your OS' limit
> on file size".  We don't warn them that this could cause backup
> problems later on.  Should we add a blurb about that somewhere?

If we do, we should already have done so because of the file size limit in
the tar format backup done with pg_dump.