Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Looking at the file's size is probably a better idea.

But isn't that already what the backend does?

> As far as I know,
> PostgreSQL doesn't create files bigger than 1GB, except for log files.

In most cases where the default is used, yes. Now this depends as well
on --with-segsize.

> I'm not sure about this but I guess pg_basebackup doesn't ship log files.  So, looking at the size would work.

It does fetch files from pg_log. We actually had on hackers not so
long ago discussions about authorizing some filtering option in
pg_basebackup for partially this purpose.
--
Michael