Re: Rework the way multixact truncations work - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Rework the way multixact truncations work
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund wrote:

> > Honestly, I wonder whether this message
> >             ereport(LOG,
> >                     (errmsg("performing legacy multixact truncation"),
> >                      errdetail("Legacy truncations are sometimes performed when replaying WAL from an older
primary."),
> >                      errhint("Upgrade the primary, it is susceptible to data corruption.")));
> > shouldn't rather be a PANIC.  (The main reason not to, I think, is that
> > once you see this, there is no way to put the standby in a working state
> > without recloning).
>
> Huh? The behaviour in that case is still better than what we have in
> 9.3+ today (not delayed till the restartpoint). Don't see why that
> should be a panic. That'd imo make it pretty much impossible to upgrade
> a pair of primary/master where you normally upgrade the standby first?
>
> This is all moot given Robert's objection to backpatching this to
> 9.3/4.

I think we need to make a decision here.  Is this a terribly serious
bug/misdesign that needs addressing?  If so, we need to backpatch.  If
not, then by all means lets leave it alone.  I don't think it is a good
idea to leave it open if we think it's serious, which is what I think is
happening.